Columbus Grove Sesquicentennial
A Pool that is on the National Register of Historic Places
17510 Road 8-P • Columbus Grove OH • (419) 659-55
The construction of Putnam County's first public swimming pool helped Columbus Grove weather the Great Depression of the 1930s. President Franklin D. Roosevelt's Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Village of Columbus Grove planned the pool to provide much-needed jobs and recreational facilities for the residents of Putnam County. Between the fall of 1935 and 1936, local men (and two women) built the pool and shelter house by hand from rock quarried on site. The workers were not trained stone masons or cutters. Befitting their limited skills, the pool was built in a simplified Norman Revival/Rustic architectural style. Wages ranged from $.33 to $.55 per hour. The pool's grand opening was July 1, 1937. That first year, adults paid $.25 to swim, and children were charged $.10. The Columbus Grove Municipal Pool was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.