South Bass Island Lighthouse
Lighthouse on Put-in-Bay
Langram Rd. • Put-in-Bay OH 43456 • 419-285-1800
At the south end of Put-in-Bay Township's Langram Road, the South Bass Island Lighthouse has been guiding vessels through Lake Erie's South Passage since 1897.The lighthouse's 60-foot tower was illuminated by a fourth order Fresnel lens until 1962 when the U.S. Coast Guard automated the light. In 1967, The Ohio State University (OSU) assumed care of the home. In 1983, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration installed a meteorological station that enables satellite transmission of weather information to the National Weather Service. In 1990, the lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places. While exact dates and times vary by year, the lighthouse is open for afternoon tours from late-June to mid-August.